Albany Medical Surgical Center

Albany Medical Surgical CentermillsA wrongful-death suit filed by survivors of Deanna Bell, age 13, alleged that she underwent a safe, legal multi-stage abortion September 3, 4, and 5, 1992 at Edward Allred’s Albany Medical Surgical Center in Chicago. Deanna was 21 weeks pregnant. Her abortion was performed at a National Abortion Federation member facility by Steve Lichtenberg, a frequent presenter at NAF Risk Management Seminars.

On December 10, 1998, Nakia “Kia” Jorden, who would have graduated from Hyde Park High School in 2000, died of anesthesia complications during an abortion at the Albany Medical Surgical Center at 5086 North Elston Avenue in Chicago. She left as her survivors her parents, Pamela and Bennard Jorden, and sisters, twins Jalisha and Shalisha. They filed suit against Albany, Family Planning Associates Medical Group, abortionist Steve Lichtenberg, and nurse anesthetist Lawrence Hill.

On June 9, 1999, Maria Leho had a first trimester abortion performed at Albany by John Weitzner, MD. Maria was given the wrong anesthesia drug and was moved to recovery without proper monitoring. When she was handed off to a nurse, she was not even checked to see if she was still breathing. Once a nurse finally noticed that Maria had no respiration or pulse, staff spent ten minutes trying to resuscitate her before finally calling an ambulance. Maria was resuscitated by EMS workers and transported to a hospital, where she died two days later.

On March 25, 2000, 22-year-old Maria Rodriguez went to Steve Lichtenberg’s Albany Medical Surgical Center for a late second trimester abortion. Lichtenberg estimated her pregnancy at 18 weeks and went ahead with the what a later expert consultant called “a seemingly uncomplicated (albeit short) procedure. At about 9:00 a.m., Maria was showing signs of shock from hemorrhage. Rather than promptly transfer her to a properly equipped hospital, Steve Lichtenberg tried to treat her at the clinic. It was an hour and a half before they finally called 911, but by the time she got to the hospital it was too late to save her.