Andre Nehorayoff

Andre NehorayoffabortionistsmaleNehorayoffAndre.jpgAndre NehorayoffAbortionist Andre Nehorayoff was disciplined over the 1979 abortion death of a patient identified by the medical board as “Patient F.” He was also disciplined regarding Patient E, an 18-year-old patient who bled to death after Nehorayoff sent her home in 1983 with a fetal leg still in her uterus.

Nehorayoff’s other cases are described here. Nehorayoff v. Fernandez (Challenging the loss of his medical license)notes, “Evidence adduced at a nine-day hearing disclosed that petitioner had performed several incomplete abortions which, coupled with substandard monitoring and aftercare, resulted in two extensive emergency surgeries – one, a total abdominal hysterectomy – and one death. Expert testimony also confirmed that petitioner’s medical records were sketchy at best and that he routinely failed to proceed according to established protocols (for example, performing procedures in his office which, due to high risk factors, should have been done in a hospital setting).”

He had his license revoked in 1991 and had no success in his 2001 petition to get it back. Additional information, should you want to review it, is available in these medical board documents.

Court documents regarding his divorce shed some interesting light on Nehorayoff.

Nehorayoff was born in Iran on April 29, 1938. He and his wife, Violette, married on April 4, 1963. They were cousins, and his brother was already married to her sister. Nehorayoff had already graduated from medical school, but Violette had only a sixth-grade education.

The couple came to the US, where Nehorayoff served his internship and residency and the couple’s daughter Liza was born. Violette began attending classes and taking jobs in a pattern that would enable her to eventually achieve a degree and open her own restaurant over the course of the couple’s 17-year marriage.

The Nehorayoffs went back to Iran in 1968, and Nehorayoff served a tour of duty in the army. Their son, Steven, was burn during the family’s stay in Iran.

They returned to the United States. (He was licensed to practice in New York on January 22, 1973 — coincidentally the day of the Roe vs. Wade decision.) Nehorayoff, along with an unnamed second physician, opened Plaza Women’s Medical Center Realty, Inc., a combination abortion facility and abortion-services laboratory, in 1978.

In October of 1978, Mrs. Nehorayoff had occasion to obtain an order of protection against her husband from Family Court. That order expired on October 30, 1979. One day in January, 1980, while Mrs. Nehorayoff was at work one of her daughter’s friends burst into the restaurant in an agitated state to report that Dr. Nehorayoff was administering corporal punishment to Liza. After stopping briefly at home, Mrs. Nehorayoff went to the police who accompanied her back to the marital residence. Once
there, Dr. Nehorayoff told her that he was “going to kill her.” Mrs. Nehorayoff left and returned the following morning. The doctor chased her from the house and once again she went to the police. The next day she again returned to the home only to find her clothing in a trash bag in the basement. Subsequently, she discovered that the furniture and dishes had been removed from the marital abode. Dr. Nehorayoff visited his wife at her restaurant seeking the whereabouts of their daughter who had apparently run away. When Mrs. Nehorayoff professed ignorance, the doctor began throwing dishes and a lamp at her. The police were called and eventually persuaded him to leave
although he lurked outside the building for a time. After securing a new order of protection from Family Court, Mrs. Nehorayoff returned to the marital abode in March of 1980. The actions of Dr. Nehorayoff constituted cruel and inhuman treatment and rendered it unsafe for Mrs. Nehorayoff to cohabit with him.

During the settlement proceedings the courts turned attention to the value of Nehorayoff’s medical practice. Nehorayoff tried to claim that the abortion business had zero monetary value.

It was established in January of 1978 and ended its first nine-month fiscal year on September 30, 1978, with gross revenues of $230,000. Gross revenues rose to $ 448,000 in fiscal 1979 and fell back to $374,000 in fiscal 1980. Through a comparison of actual patient cards and the corporate books, Mrs. Nehorayoff was able to demonstrate that between July 27, 1979 and March 3, 1980 over $26,000 in cash paid by patients was not recorded in the corporate books. Dr. Nehorayoff’s explanation of this discrepancy was wholly inadequate.

Long story short, Nehorayoff wasn’t exactly hurting for cash, with a roughly $100,000 a year income at the time of the divorce.

I’ve recently learned that after he “retired” from medicine, he returned to an occupation that limits the amount of damage he can do: real estate:

My interest in real estate began during the time that I was studying in medical school in Tehran Iran in early 1957. I have bought and sold real estate in Iran and made a nice living from it. However, when I entered the United States in 1963, real estate took a back seat but it was always on my mind.

I studied in one of the most prestigious medical institutions in the country, The Mount Sinai Hospital of New York City in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology. I became a life member of board of American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists in the United State.

Upon graduation from The Mount Sinai Hospital I entered into private practice until my retirement from medicine. I joined Houlihan Lawrence to pursue my second profession of Real Estate and look to provide my clients with my considerable breadth of experience whether buying or selling properties.