SUMMARY: Joyce Ortenzio, age 31, died June 8, 1988 after an abortion performed by Ruben Marmet at San Vicente Hospital, a Family Planning Associates Medical Group facility in Los Angeles, CA.
The survivors of 32-year-old Joyce Ann Ortenzio, a native of Hawaii, filed suit against Edward Allred, his Family Planning Associates Medical Group (FPA), the San Vicente Hospital FPA facility, and abortionist Ruben Marmet.
Joyce went to San Vicente for laminaria insertion by Marmet on June 7, 1988. Later, Marmet performed asafe and legal abortion, but did not remove all of the fetal parts from Joyce’s uterus.
The next day, June 8, Joyce was found dead in her home.
The cause of death was an overdose of the drug amitriptyline, infection from fetal parts that were not removed during the abortion and septic shock.
Joyce left three children motherless.
Other patients known to have died after abortion at Allred’s facilities include
- Denise Holmes, age 24, 1970
- Patricia Chacon, age 16, 1984
- Mary Pena, age 43, 1984
- Josefina Garcia, age 37, 1985
- Lanice Dorsey, age 17, 1986
- Tami Suematsu, age 19, 1988
- Deanna Bell, age 13, 1992
- Susan Levy, age 30, 1992
- Christina Mora, age 18, 1994
- Ta Tanisha Wesson, age 24, 1995
- Nakia Jorden, 1998
- Maria Leho, 1999
- Kimberly Neil, 2000
- Maria Rodriguez, age 22, 2000
- Chanelle Bryant, age 22, 2004
I suspect that the reason the deaths appear in clusters is because those are years that researchers checked for lawsuits, rather than that these are all the women and girls who died at Allred facilities. Anybody with the time and resources to do so could probably uncover other deaths Allred and his staff have managed to sweep under the carpet.
- Los Angeles County (CA) Superior Court Case No. WEC139590
- California Death Certificate No. 88-127625