Kenneth WrightabortionistsmaleAbortionist WrightThe Fresno Bee reports that Family Planning Associates Medical Group and abortionist Kenneth Wright are being sued by the family of a woman who died after Wright performed a safe and legal abortion on her on May 5, 2000. To the best of my knowledge, this makes at least 12 dead abortion patients for FPA.*
The family of the woman, Kimberly K. Neil, is alleging that FPA staff failed to properly monitor Kimberly, and failed to treat her properly when she stopped breathing during the abortion. Kimberly died May 22, 2000.
The Fresno Bee indicates that they were unable to contact Kimberly’s attorney for more information, and that her family is directing all questions to the attorney.
Wright is also facing another suit alleging failure to remove a fetus during an abortion performed in 1999. The Fresno Bee article does not specify if the fetus survived the abortion, or was successfully killed. However, the woman indicates that she suffered massive infection, which means that the most likely scenario is that the fetus was killed and its decomposition caused the mother’s infection.
FPA’s checkered past** is far too extensive in scope for this article. Wright’s closet, on the other hand, has a more manageable number of skeletons. He was sued over the 1986 abortion death of 17-year-old Laniece Dorsey. He was a co-defendant in the lawsuit filed over the death of 37-year-old Josefina Garcia. (Press-Telegram 4-25-88). Wright has been a defendant in a multitude of other abortion malpractice suits, including:
- L.V., alleged: abortion by Allred and/or Kenneth Wright and/or Morton Sacks and/or Soon G. Sohn and/or D. Cannon October 28, 1989 at FPA facility; transported Linda to San Vicente for treatment October 28 – November 6; subsequent cramps, hemorrhage, emergency surgery, hospitalization, due to incomplete abortion. (LA County Superior Court Case No. BC008189)
- J.V., alleged: abortion at FPA by Edward Allred and/or Wright and/or and/or J. Terrell Crad and/or Soon Sohn July 19, 1983; patient “rendered sick, lame, disabled and suffered injuries which caused and continue to cause pain, suffering, intense anxiety, emotional distress, insecurity, and apprehension;” loss of earnings. (LA County Superior Court Case No. C505315)
- A.A., alleged: abortion by Edward Allred and/or Wright October 28, 1980; admitted to hospital November 1 for gynecological infection; A. suffered “severe and permanent injury, disability and damages.” (Orange County Superior Court Case No. 370730)
- C.W., alleged: abortion by Edward Allred and/or Leslie Orleans and/or Wright at FPA May 10. 1978; incomplete abortion, “massive uterine bleeding necessitating further medical care.” (Orange County Superior Court Case No. 31-79-68)
- P.T., alleged abortion by Edward Allred and/or Wright at Pregnancy Control Medical Group August 6, 1976; failure to diagnose ectopic pregnancy; Penny “suffered severe, acute pain, a ruptured tubal pregnancy, hemoperitoneum, shock, and a resulting total abdominal hysterectomy” August 20. (Orange County Superior Court Case No. 32-02-40)
- P.C., alleged abortion performed October 5, 1982, when she was not actually pregnant. Suit names as co defendants Edward Allred, Soon Sohn, Wright, and Ruben Marmet. (LA County Superior Court Case No. NCC238673)
- V.P., alleged: abortion March 2, 1980; failure to warn of risks; negligence resulting in “disabling injuries to her body and to her small bowel and uterus, requiring surgical repair.” Wright was named as co-defendant. (LA County Superior Court Case No. C347394)
- D.B., alleged: abortion at Avalon by Edward Allred and/or Wright June 19, 1976; incomplete abortion; inadequate follow-up instruction and care; hemorrhage several days later necessitating hospitalization to prevent death and repair damage. (LA County Superior Court Case No. C188819)
- Other suits include:
- P.S., alleged: 1977 surgery by Wright at FPA’s Avalon Hospital; displaced IUD that was in place at time of surgery; patient required hospital and medical treatment. (LA County Superior Court Case No. C483647)
- S.V., alleged improperly attended coming out of anesthesia following October 21, 1985 tubal ligation by Edward Allred and/or Wright; fell, struck by gurney, injured; post-op infection. (Orange County Superior Court Case No. 50-39-14)
- P.B., alleged in 1976 suit failure to diagnose and treat, resulting in damages. (LA County Superior Court Case No. C148914)
- L.G., alleged in 1974 suture of left ureter during hysterectomy; patient subsequently required cystouethroscopy, left retrograde pyelogram, and left uretero-neocystotomy, with reimplantation of the left ureter to the bladder, also continuing pain and suffering and need for medical care. (LA County Superior Court Case No. C 109353)
Note that these suits were uncovered in searches in Orange and Los Angeles counties; to my knowledge, nobody has yet done a search for suits against Wright or FPA in Fresno County.
*Other FPA abortion deaths I know of are: Denise Holmes, Laniece Dorsey, Josefina Garcia, Deanna Bell, Tami Suematsu, Joyce Ortenzio, Mary Pena, Patricia Chacon, Christina Mora, Deanna Bell, Chanelle Bryant and Susan Levy (“Sue” from page 42 of Lime 5).
FPA is a member of the National Abortion Federation, an organization that purports to ensure that abortions are performed safely and professionally.