Leroy Carhart

leroycarhart.jpgDr. Leroy H. Carhart is in the news again as a patient died during one of his third-trimester abortions at Germantown Reproductive Health Services in Maryland.

What is Carhart’s background?

Numerous old news articles about Carhart cover allegations raised by his clinic administrator. The allegations included that Carhart:

  • Altered a patient chart on February 14, 1991
  • Engaged in telephone conversations during procedures in 1991
  • Refused to follow proper infection control procedures dealing with a patient with active tuberculosis June 14, 1991
  • Fell asleep injecting a patient June 14, 1991.

The clinic administrator who first reported these allegations also alleged that Carhart left an abortion patient on the table to go outside and throw rocks at the procedure room window on October 23, 1990. This was when Carhart was doing abortions at Women’s Medical Center of Nebraska.

Carhart has taken a leadership role in abortion. According to news sources, a semi-retired ophthalmologist and a pathologist have approached Carhart to learn abortion techniques. Carhart was hired to perform abortions at Planned Parenthood in Bloomington, IN. (Sources: Chronicle/Examiner 9-19-93; Detroit News 9-5-93; 846 – Omaha World-Herald 7-26-91, 8-11-92, 4-13-93, 5-17-93, 6-3-93; Herald-Times 7-9-92; Letter to health department 6-21-94, Douglas County District Court Doc. 899, Petition for Disciplinary Action)

Carhart has also been in trouble for non-abortion issues. News reports state that 4 of his 11 horses, and two dogs, were confiscated by the humane society due to neglect. An officer of the humane society said she had not obtained a warrant because the animals were in danger of death. She also said that the horses were in danger of starvation even though several large bales of inferior-quality hay were outside a fence, just beyond the reach of the horses. Some of the older horses had bite marks on their backs indicating that younger horses had driven them away from what food was available, and that the most skeletal of the horses, a 20 to 30-year-old female, had to be coaxed from a barn that was a foot deep in mud and excrement. The humane society spokesperson also said that Carhart “wasn’t too happy” that she had taken the horses, and that he threatened to file charges against her. (Source: Bellevue Leader 7-25-92)

It was Carhart who was attempting to resuscitate Christin Gilbert when she was dying during a third-trimester abortion at George Tiller’s infamous Wichita late abortion facility in 2004.