Mark Maltzerabortionists, abortionistsmaleMark MaltzerDiana Lopez, age 25, was 19 weeks pregnant when she went to a Planned Parenthood for a safe and legal abortion on February 28, 2002
The medical board took no action against Diana‘s abortionist, Dr. Mark Maltzer, either. However, the California Department of Health Services investigated the facility and cited Planned Parenthood for:
- Failing to institute a necessary change in medical protocol relating to the use of laminaria (used to expand the cervix) in the dilation and evacuation procedure.
- Lacking the evidence to show a completed assessment of the competency and credentials of the physician who carried out the abortion.
- Inadequately advising against a potentially dangerous second-trimester D&E procedure based on low hemoglobin levels.
- Failing to follow proper surgical abortion policy and procedure by administering Cytotec to the patient on day one of the two-day abortion procedure, when policy requires it to be administered 90 minutes before the abortion procedure.
- Failing to inform Planned Parenthood‘s governing body of any adverse outcome related to patient care within the facility.
- Failing to notify the Health Department of a patient’s death within 24 hours of the occurrence.
- Keeping incomplete records describing the services provided to Lopez.